This is actually a really good point/idea I’m going to steal, I hadn’t even thought of that.

I do what I do ;)

Steal away! I can't wait to read the chapter!!!!

What if Padriag Pearse wrote Ireland Unfree? It is his Easter Rising address I lifted the title from after all

Pearse was less of a historian and more a literary figure and educator.

Not sure when Ireland Unfree is meant to be published, but I'd suggest (possibly) Tim Pat Coogan who was one of the big Irish Popular Historians of the 80s and 90s (wrote biographies of Dev, Collins and a history of the IRA to name but the ones on my Da's bookshelf ;) )

We readers do have good things to offer sometimes.
Much more than sometimes!
I do what I do ;)

Steal away! I can't wait to read the chapter!!!!

Pearse was less of a historian and more a literary figure and educator.

Not sure when Ireland Unfree is meant to be published, but I'd suggest (possibly) Tim Pat Coogan who was one of the big Irish Popular Historians of the 80s and 90s (wrote biographies of Dev, Collins and a history of the IRA to name but the ones on my Da's bookshelf ;) )
I’ll stick it in my notes!

I was thinking of areas that iOTL *might* be similar to TTL's Kentucky and the one that comes to mind now is Nagorno-Karabakh, having said that, with Kentucky having a Northern border on the US, it is likely to be more resiliant.

Also, I'm honestly curious *what* Kentuckian representation in the Confederate congress looks like. Probably all whites from the unconquered areas like Harlan in the Southeast, even if they theoretically represent areas in the west like Paducah. And as a personal note (I'm white), my mother was born in Madisonville (draw a line N/S across Kentucky from Evansville, IN and its half way between Indiana and Tennessee). And given that my grandfather moved *north* from Mississippi/Alabama, I'm guessing that things are a little bit different iTTL. :)

So, are we going to see anything about Hughe's and Root's view on each other once everything goes to s**t?
Maybe. I’ve sort of wrapped up anything related to Hughes in a way since he isn’t really going to be particularly interesting to follow postwar (unlike Hearst, who’ll get a check in or two just due to Marion Davies and how that could be) so a postscript about him and Root specifically is unlikely but it could happen

How is the Cambodia, and the rest of the german colonies, going?

I honestly find German colonial policy very interesting cause it varied so wildly. On one hand you had places like Samoa or East Africa that were one of the few non-settler european colonies where anyone bothered to try and improve the place, and on the other you had shit like Namibia that was only second to the Belgians in terms of brutality.

German east african administration was cut by WW1 when the improvements were starting to show, so Cambodia here could be what would've happened if that hadn't been the case.

How is the Cambodia, and the rest of the german colonies, going?

I honestly find German colonial policy very interesting cause it varied so wildly. On one hand you had places like Samoa or East Africa that were one of the few non-settler european colonies where anyone bothered to try and improve the place, and on the other you had shit like Namibia that was only second to the Belgians in terms of brutality.

German east african administration was cut by WW1 when the improvements were starting to show, so Cambodia here could be what would've happened if that hadn't been the case.
Good question! We’ll be getting back to SE Asia here in the late 1910s for a variety of reasons but Cambodia is doing quite well - much better than German Tanganyika since Cambodia is a formal protectorate rather than colony and the Bavarians who get sent there took their jobs seriously.

German Mindanao, on the other hand, was a Nambibia-esque horror show (and SW Africa didn’t get bitter field either)

German Mindanao, on the other hand, was a Nambibia-esque horror show (and SW Africa didn’t get bitter field either)
That bad? I'm not sure the conditions are there for a genocide, given that Germany wasn't planning on settling Mindanao, and that the Philippines have much more international visibility, meaning that Germany doesn't have a free hand.

Like I can easily see a lot of colonial violence, particularly if they it's stoked by paranoia over the local disputes with the French and Japanese, but imo it doesn't have genocide potential.

IIRC it was mentioned somewhere that Solf was getting made head of the colonial office, so that perhaps mean that the newly acquired Portuguese colonies will fare somewhat better.

That bad? I'm not sure the conditions are there for a genocide, given that Germany wasn't planning on settling Mindanao, and that the Philippines have much more international visibility, meaning that Germany doesn't have a free hand.

Like I can easily see a lot of colonial violence, particularly if they it's stoked by paranoia over the local disputes with the French and Japanese, but imo it doesn't have genocide potential.

IIRC it was mentioned somewhere that Solf was getting made head of the colonial office, so that perhaps mean that the newly acquired Portuguese colonies will fare somewhat better.
Maybe not the Full Namibia, but more just like a much worse Moro War

And yes, correct! Solf getting to be in charge will help things hugely

What type of ship was the USS Montana in the Battle of Hilton Head? I noticed that FDR was in command, but was of rank Commander. I *guess* that means a smaller ship, but I don't know how large of a ship at that point would be commanded by someone who was not of the *rank* of Captain.

What type of ship was the USS Montana in the Battle of Hilton Head? I noticed that FDR was in command, but was of rank Commander. I *guess* that means a smaller ship, but I don't know how large of a ship at that point would be commanded by someone who was not of the *rank* of Captain.
If the ship has a state name for the USA it would be a capital ship, specifically a battleship and likely a dreadnought battleship.

If the ship has a state name for the USA it would be a capital ship, specifically a battleship and likely a dreadnought battleship.
That' what I thought, but iOTL, the USS Montana was a Tennessee Class Cruiser. All four ships in the class were (supposed) to be renamed to cities so their names were to be reused for post WNT battleships.

^^^
That' what I thought, but iOTL, the USS Montana was a Tennessee Class Cruiser. All four ships in the class were (supposed) to be renamed to cities so their names were to be reused for post WNT battleships.
The OTL ship classes and equivalents can be mostly discarded as anything other than guidelines

^^^

The OTL ship classes and equivalents can be mostly discarded as anything other than guidelines
Granted. Still trying to figure out why the person in charge of a ship that had a state name (and as such would have been expected to be among the best that the US had when it was laid down) would have someone with the rank of Commander as its captain (person in charge of a ship is referred to as the Captain regardless of their actual rank). I'd *really* expect FDR to have been a *rank* of Captain.

Granted. Still trying to figure out why the person in charge of a ship that had a state name (and as such would have been expected to be among the best that the US had when it was laid down) would have someone with the rank of Commander as its captain (person in charge of a ship is referred to as the Captain regardless of their actual rank). I'd *really* expect FDR to have been a *rank* of Captain.
Does it really matter that much? IMO the point of FDR being there was the allusion to his OTL naval secretary role and losing the use of his legs. It's worth remembering that this is still a story, quibbling over specific ranks of characters misses the broader narative.

Last edited:
Does it really matter that much? IMO the point of FDR being there was the allusion to his OTL naval secretary role and losing the use of his legs. It's worth remembering that this is still a story, quibbling over specific ranks of characters misses the broader narative.
Can't have a TL in After 1900 without at least one person going "well actually..." about something naval related. I think it is a board rule.

Also, to add to (and conclude) this FDR tangent, not every capital ship has an admiral onboard, and commanders outrank captains in the US Navy. Considering the composition of the task force at Hilton Head, having one squadron under a commander rather than an admiral would not be strange at all

Also, to add to (and conclude) this FDR tangent, not every capital ship has an admiral onboard, and commanders outrank captains in the US Navy. Considering the composition of the task force at Hilton Head, having one squadron under a commander rather than an admiral would not be strange at all
Commanders outrank *Army* Captains. To use the current NATO setup (which functionally matches what the US and UK did for long before the POD.

O-6 = Navy Captain = Army Colonel
O-5 = Navy Commander = Army Lt. Colonel
O-4 = Navy Lt. Commander = Army Major
O-3 = Navy Lt. = Army Captain.
(only wierd change has been what happened with Commodores vs. being an Admiral, and that is above a Navy Captain)

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I looked at this but I saw the latest update and I am wondering how Mexico will navigate through the 1920s and into the future based on what’s currently going on with Reyismo.