A German Star: Erik Fritz (22)

Being big-name stars who had fallen in love on screen, fans were obsessed with "Erik and Olga"'s romance and the media kept a close eye on the couple as their marriage progressed, declined and finally broke. The fans were delighted with reports of the lavish gifts Fritz gave his wife, such as a Cartier diamond ring as well as their horrendous and frequent fights later in the marriage.

However, even if they were aware that by 1940 the cracks had begun to show, many fans were trully shocked when the pair separated and officially divorcing in February, 1950. The media at once toyed with the idea that Erik was going to remarry to after his marriage to Olga failed. They were right...

...somehow.

What they couldn't predict was that Olga's next ex-husband would be Eric again.

Eric and Olga reconciled within two months of their first divorce and remarried in Charleston in May 1950, with many fans convinced the relationship was to last this time. Sadly, that wasn't the case. This second marriage lasted less than six months and on December 1, 1950 they divorced for a second and final time.

Erik managed to hide from most of the world by retreating to a cottage in Michigania,
but he was discovered by the Keynek Mail's Norman Dunster. With a bottle of vodka in his hand (he had yet to start his detoxification regimen), he insisted to Dunster that Olga had not really left him.

'There is no question of our love and devotion to each other,' he said solemnly. 'I don't even consider Olga and me as separated. I even have Olga's passport in my possession. Does that look as if she has left me?'

A week later, Erik flew to Bayburg to work on a new film with Sonia Lurrez and her film producer husband Charles Pontiac. The couple graciously agreed that he could stay in their 50-room villa outside Bayburg to evade the paparazzi and nurse his wounds. His longing for her tortured him. Then, it happened.

As he later wrote to Chuck Oswald "of course, I had to blown it!" Erik had an affair with Sonia and they caught "in the act" by Pontiac. In the ensuing argument, Pontiac launched his fist against Erik's chin, who reacted by smashing Pontiac's head against the wall... a few times. Thankfully for him, Sonia was hidden under the bed and could not properly see what was going on (only the bloodied head of her hudband hitting the ground after Erik had "calmed him down) and Pontiac was unable to remember a thing when he got out of his comma (he had enough with learning how to walk, how to talk and how to shit again).

It wasn't until he entered the Richard Ford Centre for the first time in 1951 to be treated for detoxification from drugs and alcohol, that he realised how deep he had sank.

In the months after their divorce announcement, Erik launched himselft to an out-of-control imbibing and womanising spread. He met an 18-year-old waitress and bought her a $450 ring. The waitress, a former 'Miss Camelot County', made the front pages of the local newspapers. He also briefly became involved with a 33-year-old married woman with three children, until her husband showed up threatening to shoot Erik (eventually, the ORRA was the one ending up shooting the husband).

Finally, Chuck Oswald could stand it no more. She flew to Erik's home in Atlantic City and took him to the detox center (legend has Oswald grabbing Erik's balls while whispering "let me help you to think" and Erik agreeing wholeheartedly to Oswald's idea).

In 1953, once he left the Richard Nixon Center for good, he departed with his boat the Zaca to cruise the Caribbean Sea. From this voyage, a new Erik was to return.

1696788409317.png

Last edited:
Finally, Chuck Oswald could stand it no more. She flew to Erik's home in Atlantic City and took him to the detox center (legend has Oswald grabbing Erik's balls while whispering "let me help you to think" and Erik agreeing wholeheartedly to Oswald's idea).

In 1953, once he left the Richard Nixon Center for good, he departed with his boat the Zaca to cruise the Caribbean Sea. From this voyage, a new Erik was to return.
ERHS Theatre - Grab your friends, drag them by the ear if you must but go  see Thoroughly Modern Millie at #erhs Show opens tonight at 7:00pm.  #erhstheatre #thoroughlymodernmillie | Facebook

Real World Dramatization of said dragging. Yes, Oswald did drag him into the detox center while in women's clothing and wig.

During our voyage to Lincolnia we settled into a routine similar to Basic Training. It was exercises in the morning, lunch and then refresher training in the afternoon. Most of the refreshers were over equipment that we had used during Climax and even some older Great War items. It seemed like Philly was shipping all the older arms and equipment to New Philadelphia for them to use. Most of us had experience with the equipment, it was more about restoring them getting them ready for use in the African climate. They may have been simple compared to some of the new stuff the Army was coming out with back home, but they were reliable, which counted more in the field.

After dinner was our 'free time' before curfew. As you can expect on a ship full of soldiers there were cards, dice, reading and talkiebox groups along with Manifest Destiny and church services. Freddie, Karsten and Quinton formed a team that would fleece unsuspecting card or dice players as Freddie, or Fast Freddie would talk and joke during a game while Karsten and Quinton would play 'simple Country Boys' who would lure new players by winning against Freddie. I myself participated in a few of their games but never pushed my luck. I was one of those who planned my escape and scouted ahead before I ran any scam. Freddie, Karsten and Quinton were doing very well until they ran into a group of Great War veterans from New York running a similar scam. After a few fists were thrown and arguments ensued the two groups decided to divide the ship into territories.

Taking my Dad's advice I listened to the older men about what they knew about Lincolnia, which was not much. We all had been told that the culture of Lincolnia had two distinct roots, the Black Americans who came over with Reverend Douglass and the descendants of the indigenous people and migratory tribes. Settlers brought the skills of embroidery and quilting with them, with both now firmly embedded in the national culture. Gospel music is popular, with hymns sung without instruments. Spirituality was reflected in the unusually intricate carving style, dance is a valued heritage, with the local government sponsoring dance troupes. They dressed like the crackers in Carolina in bright colors, which was odd since most Cokies would burn the place down if they had the chance. They still had traditions and local laws from the time of Joe Steele, so our officers told us to keep our hands and privates to ourselves.

After a few weeks we pulled into New Philadelphia and we were greeted like returning heroes. You would have thought it was the days after Climax. There were bands, singers, dancers and crowds cheering us. Before we were dismissed off the ship we were granted a 72 hour pass with a warning about the local Guard would be keeping a watch for us. We were to return to the dock after our pass and we would be sent to our deployments. You could see Freddie and the boys thinking about places to spend their money. I started looking at the crowds cheering for me and thought that if I played my cards right, I could be a Big Man around here.

-Back in the Army, Again

Splendor in the Skies Part 1
With a Lucky Rabbit's foot (1926-1936)

The Flying Rabbits was a professional aerial exhibition team that started around 1923, advertising they would do ANYTHING for a price. They performed primarily at air shows around Philadelphia and the East Coast but found their niche doing movie newsreels.
The group was based at the Ayers Airport, where many worked as pilots and mechanics. Cameron Banks was a former Aeroforce flyer and started a flying school and passenger air service in 1919. Among his multitude of students – he soloed about 400 – he taught Asenath 'Ira' Glass how to fly, who in turn taught Baltassar Halle. In 1926, Cameron, Glass and Halle teamed up and established the Cameron Air Port and School of Aviation. In August 1927, flying students Kristina Lamar and Alwin Braune graduated from there. These young pilots who would do “anything in aerial stunts,” formed the core of the Flying Rabbits and dazzled weekend crowds at the airport with their breath-taking aerial performances. On July 5, 1928, thousands showed up for the “Cameron Field Air Meet” to watch the air races and stunt flying exhibitions.

41399bd7ad2b40608c63eb22b39e587c.png

Cameron Banks in Flight, 1929

The Rabbits were an evolving group with many members including women. With so many coming and going, many of the participants never received their credit due. The group charged one hundred dollars for an ordinary plane-change. It cost five hundred dollars to make a change made from an upside-down aircraft to one flying right side up. A crowd thrilling addition was a faked accident with the apparent victim falling off the aircraft and tumbling about four hundred feet before a thin cable (invisible to the audience) suddenly opened a hidden parachute, to the gasped relief of the audience. Other Examples included upside-down flying for $100 and blowing up an airplane in mid-air for $1500. They performed at airshows and in movies and were featured in newsreels of the era. Various film studios in Kissimmee would create the Florida Falcons, a similar air performance group, in 1935 to be used in various film productions.

The Rabbits were the first to develop a set scale wage for aerial stunts, which provided a model for the first movie stunt pilots’ union, founded in 1933. The popularity of the group would lead them to tour across the country performing shows on weekends for county fairs and clan events. Many economic clans that were involved in aircraft design and manufacturing, along with the Union Aeroforce would be inspired by the Rabbits to create their own air groups and events, making numerous record-breaking flights. Between 1934 and 1936, American airmen established records in round trips, long-range flights, high speed and altitude flight.

In 1935 Cameron would create a national sensation by featuring a 'dogfight' between two teams of pilots. The planes would mount modified grinders firing paint pellets to simulate the effects of bullets and each pilot and team would be awarded points based on where the 'bullets' struck. A plane that was over sixty percent damaged could be declared 'damaged or destroyed' and the pilot ordered to land. The game would be played once a month and unofficial betting and rankings would be created. The entry of the Union into Manifest Climax would lead to the end of the Rabbits and the game, but it would not be forgotten.

729986a7accf44bf8822510eba07a82c.webp

Asenath 'Ira' Glass and Baltassar Halle before a Dogfight, 1936

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Black_Cats#Members
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regia_Aeronautica

Last edited:
Today I'm sorry to inform you all of the passing of Billy Fritz (1956-2023), the only son of the late Eric Fritz and his third wife, Evelyn Hodgson. Billy grew under the shadow of his talented father but made himself a name as a Wallesterian actor, becoming famous for his roles as Edward IV of England in Wallestein's "A Man for all the Roses"; Gonzálo Fernández de Córdoba in "The Private Lives of Isabel and Fernando" and as Louix XIV "The Man with the Iron Heart".

e6.png

Billy Fritz as Edward IV in 1989.​
The press was informed of Billy's demise by his only son, David Robert Fritz, the famous singer, songwriter, musician, and actor.

e7.png

David Robert Fritz in 2020.​

Last edited:
Do you know that...

...In one of his last roles in the big screen, Billy Fritz co-starred with William Pitt in the biopic "Custer" (2020) which centered in the rise to power of George Armstrong Custer (Pitt). Fritz not only played as the British ambassador who, as witness of the events, narrated how Custer became the man who saved the Union, but also produced the film and wrote part of the script.

The film was an outstanding success, even if it took some big liberties with the events, just as having Robert E. Lee claiming that "the Lord has just send us Custer to save America from itself". The film grossed $117.8 million at the Republican Union and $94 million overseas.

lqMRmL1.png

Pitt as Custer.​

Last edited:
It is claimed that, for a brief time, Eric Fritz considered leaving the American Union and to go to live in a villa in Rome, leaving his cinema career well behind him (and his wife too). Apparently, he was persuaded by his good old friend, Chuck Oswald, even if we don't know exactly how Oswald did that.

1703413836836.png

Oswald on his way to persuade Fritz that the American Union is the best Union.

Do we have countries that are developing nuclear weapons and civilian power at this point?
The nations with NW are the NUSA, France and Russia, with their subordinates like India or East Germany part of the bloc, and the Chinese/Southeast Asian permawar situation preventing strong states from emerging that could make weapons

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-12-26-153643.png

Here we can see Atheling Chuck Oswald during his visit to the
Tear Barbour airbase in an unknwon date by an unknown photographer.

Last edited:
Do we have countries that are developing nuclear weapons and civilian power at this point?
The nations with NW are the NUSA, France and Russia, with their subordinates like India or East Germany part of the bloc, and the Chinese/Southeast Asian permawar situation preventing strong states from emerging that could make weapons
With the fuel restrictions in the NUSA and Oswald's love of anything futuristic the Americans would start a program for civilian nuclear power since it also create material for more nuclear weapons. With Europa taking a shot due to Maddie and still having access to petroleum nuclear reactors may be restricted to military uses. The Illuminists may embrace nuclear power for civilian use similar to the Americans and use petroleum for military, chemical production, plastics and so on. Australasia, Carolina and Corea may have civilian or 'research' programs but I feel they would be heavily watched by Europa, ORRA or the Illuminists. As for India or the Middle East, not a chance for a few decades.

Splendor in the Skies Part 2
The Jackrabbit (1936-1956)

Leonardo_Diffusion_XL_Late_1940s_American_Fighter_Pilot_in_his_2.jpg
Jared Dreher, 1946

In 1935, the Flying Rabbits would perform one of their last 'dogfights' in Milwaukee, Michigania at what was called the Michigania Air Show. Teams and pilots from across the country would compete in speed races, obstacle courses and stunt competitions to massive crowds. One of those attending the show was a fifteen year old kid from Oshkosh by the name of Jared Dreher. Born in 1920, Jared was the youngest of five children in a farm family and already had a reputation for rebelliousness, intelligence and independence. The speed and skill of the various aircraft would intrigue Jared. who would read any books and magazine available about aircraft and flight and had pictures posted in his room. With the beginning of Manifest Climax and the demand for Aeroforce personnel Jared would launch himself into a program of physical training and coursework to apply for service. His father would take him and his brothers hunting as a form of wilderness training and survival skills. During High School Jaren would compete in track and field events, earning the name 'Jackrabbit' for his sudden bursts of speed. As soon as he turned eighteen, he would apply for the Aeroforce. Despite some disciplinary actions while in school his grades and attendance were in the top ten percent of his class and he would be accepted. From 1938 to 1942 Jared would attend the Union Aeroforce Academy in Alton, Iowai and would become a Captain but would still be regarded as 'skilled but not a team player' by instructors. During his education he would attend guest lectures taught by Cameron Banks and Asenath 'Ira' Glass on various unconventional flying tactics and stunts.

During Manifest Climax Jared would pilot Farber Eagle-40s and Auk F-100 Alcidaes in a variety of ground support and air superiority roles, earning six kills of Brazilian aircraft. Using low level flight and speed, Jared would surprise infee defenders with sudden attacks even before they could return fire in many cases. True to his knickname in High School, Dreher would also be known as the Jackrabbit. In 1947 during a ground attack mission, his Alcidaes would come under heavy ground fire, severely damaging the plane and wounding Jared. Despite this, he would be able to return to base and land before requiring medical attention, this 'Miracle Flight' would make Jared a household name. While in recovery he would be awarded the Pentagon Star Third Class and Order of Valley Forge by President Oswald during a tour. With parts of Climax winding down he would be transferred back to the homeland but Jared would continue the dream of flight. Once he return to Michigania he would contact Cameron Banks and Asenath Glass, along with others, on restarting air shows and flight schools to prepare the next generation of pilots. With a clear demonstration of air power during Climax and the growth commercial air travel and air freight, the demand for air crews and pilots was expected to increase. In a partnership agreement, the various pilots would form the Combined Air Corporation (CAC) to run a flight academy, mechanic school and airfield. They would purchase a Great War era airfield near Peoria and begin an expansion and modernization of the field. By the mid-50s, CAC would have the third largest aviation program in the country and own over twenty five aircraft.

A way to advertise the school and the company would be a twice yearly Air Show on the campus featuring dogfights similar to the once Banks and Glass had developed during the 30s. Purchasing surplus aircraft, the school would create teams to compete against each other based on skill points and kills. Teams would be based on colors but competitions between state and regional teams would also be allowed. In the Oswald Era, limited betting would be allowed and soon several Televizor stations would ask for rights to broadcast these matches. Once of those networks would belong to a man by the name of Richard Nixon.

A German Star: Erik Fritz (23)

The return of Eric Fritz to the NUSA took place on December 26, 1953. As the reader will recognize the date without a shred of a doubt, it is hardly surprising that nobody cared too much about the return of the 44-year-old star.

Nobody?

Well, almost nobody.

Chuck Oswald did. Oh, yes, he did. In spite of how busy was our mighty Aetheling in those dark days, he found a moment to spare for his good old chum... much to the discomfort of Fritz, who only wanted to enjoy a bit of calm and peace with some chicks and a few shots of vodka. Alas! Oswald had plans in store for him.

1705111994004.png

Oswald: "Of course I'm fugging happy to have you here, you fugging silly sodding sausage-eater Krautz! Now come here rightynow right here or I'll use your arsehole as my new ashtray, do I make myself absolutely clear, my dear BUDDY?!?!?!?!
And, of course, Fritz was won at once by Oswald's subtle charm. At least that was what Fritz said to the two ORRA teams waiting for him when he left his ship and landed in NUSA soil.

Is it not beautiful when two friends care so much for each other?

The fact, you know, is that Eric Fritz was a man looking for a mission, and for his sins, Oswald gave him one. Brought it up to him like room service. It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, he never wanted another.

PS: well, good ol' Eric is back. I had some misgivings about placing him in the post Maddie world, and I needed some time to ponder about it. Now I'm ready to try...

A German Star: Erik Fritz (24)

Hong Kong,
March 15th, 1952

Eric Fritz was holding a cup of fine French Martel brandy when he chuckled inwardly as the ORRA agent had to fight the urge to perfom the national salute before he sat down at the dining table. Also, Fritz mused, being dressed in an ill-fitting white tuxedo didn’t help either. It was no wonder that the ORRA man felt utterly out of place in the restaurant of the Hotel Peninsula, arguably the best in Hong Kong. The world could be falling down around them, but standards had to be maintained. ’Damn it, I’m a complete failure at this! No wonder they shipped me of to Hong Kong, when all the action is going on in Europe!’ the agent muttered under his breath. Fritz's laughter explode like a thunder. Indeed, in Europe there was a lot of action, and a lot of Illuminist fanatics eager to drink the blood of their enemies.

Then, a man with a bruised face that made a stark contrast to his white tuxedo, joined them. He sat in the table, pulling over a chair from another table. He had a peculiar name, something that went like "Mississippi Jones" or something like that. Then another young man added, with with an unmistakable British accent. A James Pond, Fritz later remembered. Too many drinks that night. So, there were the four men selected by Chuck Oswald to find something that, according to the few pictures that Fritz had seen, resembled something like a Valknut, a Norse symbol for the fallen warriors, but that Oswald had names as a "frozen SCP-2662", whatever that was. But, first, China must be visited. Ending his brandy, the former actor now turned into secret agent mused about how life kept surprising him.

6GxzuOk.png

Mississipi Jones here, in the flesh.​

Somewhere above China
March 18th, 1952

Bt Fritz's side, the ORRA man swallowed, then swallowed again. The reason was obvious; he was about to jump out of an airplane at a very high altitude and at night. Fritz chuckled as Pond and Mississipi Jones moved close to the door. He checked his parachute for the last time, not too sure about if he was doing it correctly. Then the pilot of the plane stuck his head out from the cock-pit into the cabin; ‘It’s time!’ he shouted. ‘Go! Go! Go!’

As wind rushed into the cabin trought the open side door of the airplane, Fritz wondered if he had not made a fatal mistake by accepting the mission. Then he jumped into the night.

Last edited: