America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

Spring 1986- Powering On
Spring 1986- Powering On

364px-Expo86logo.svg.png

The main logo for the Expo 86 exhibition

As Ingvar Carlsson becomes Sweden's new prime minister, the world got a reminder of the troubles that remained to be dealt with and governments over the world sending their condolences and encourgament to continue to deal with these problems. As further pressure now mounted on South Africa to end apartheid and Congress was preparing a bill as a response to interactions with South Africa regarding apartheid, more surprises would be coming. One major was the about an atricle published by The New York Times. Said article charges that Kurt Waldheim, former United Nations Secretary-General and candidate for president of Austria, may have been involved in Nazi war crimes during World War II, prompting an investigation on the serious accusation. Beyond that, other incidentes occur, such as some bomb plots and other attacks across the world for various reasons. Despite this though, the world stood strong and still moved forward and other times, disasters were averted. [1]

One such close call was over in the Chernobyl Power Plant near the city of Pripyat in the north of the Ukrainian SSR in the Soviet Union. After the announcement of the design and construction of new nuclear power plants within the United States, the USSR had decided to do similar, looking over and thoroughly examining their present plants along with sites for new ones. This would lead to the discovery of critical flaws and operation neglect within the plant and they had to go through an extensive and careful process of shutting down the plant, especially upon realizing there was a chance for one of the reactors, likely Number 4, to have exploded. While the situation was kept under wraps, it would further force the Soviet Union into greater openness and collaboration with the United States and other nuclear powers on developing and refining nuclear power plants and safety features for the third generation of nuclear reactors. [2]

On more positive news, the Second Civil Rights Act would be passed through Congress. The Democrats’ supermajority along with Vice President Askew’s efforts to bring the votes, the work of the activists and their supporters putting pressure on the other Congressfolk and even the growing liberal Republicans led by House Minority Leader John B Anderson and Senator Charles Mathias led the support for it. The act served to protect people from discrimination regardless of their sexual orientation and related aspects, such as in employment, politics and so on. Surprisingly, one of the lesser discussed topics was on the idea of samgen marriage though it was rumored that they hoped that the act would be used to justify that samgen marriage to be legalized. However, with the cooperation of many different people, the act would be passed to the jubilation of many people. The act was received for the most part, with people passively warming up to it though there was a growing minority of individuals not too happy, especially with the rammifications of the act. Additionally, the support by the liberal Republicans also revealed further cracks within what was the traditional Republican voting base and showing the fluctuating state of American political conservatism at the time

Lastly was another World's Fair, this time held over in Vancouver. It gathered more interest than one would expect, primarily for its themes on Transporation and Communication. It reflected the growing technology regard computers involved in mass communication and the hopes for further connection across the world. Moreso, it reflected the growing trend in Transporation, namely in public transporation. Reporters noted this to be a result of the Exxon case exposing the widespread danger of fossil fuels and the need to switch to more efficient means of transporation. Unsurprisingly, public transportation would regain ground in this front, being able to get more people around with less fuel compared to everyone using cars. This along with the Americans' quasi-nationalization of their major rails and subsequent electrification project has renewed interest in this and further matters. In fact, at the fair, the United States showcased some of said plans with it along with the hopes of more refined nuclear power, a theme shared with the USSR's pavilion,. especially with the close call with their reactor and the need for greater collaboration in developing safer and more effective nuclear power. While initial plans were for a monorail, it expanded more for the introduction of modernized trams to be used which would expand in usage in Vancouver. Additionally, one fascinating sight would be buses running on biogas, that being gases collected on the breakdown of biological material and sometimes known as renewable natural gas, especially when the biogas has been purified and treated to be biomethane. However, this also did come with some controversey, mainly in more than a thousand low-income residents of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside were evicted from their long-term homes in single room occupancy (SRO) hotels, sometimes with as little as a single day's notice. [3]

-----------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Information from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986
[2]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster
[3]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_86

Yup, unsurprising in this case. The Soviets don't have to be worried on problems in Afghanistan, their rival nation is ruled by a peaceful reformer (sorta like them right now) and the situation and need to address bigger issues involving renewable energy would increase the likelihood of stopping the Chernobyl meltdown. Was still probably a close call and are not gonna let the main people how bad it could've been.

Meanwhile, the 2nd Civil Rights Act is showing the somewhat beginnings of reactionary backlash though it's quite diluted because of Udall's popularity and his reforms, along with the changing zeitgeist leading to increased sympathies for them. Plus, the only potential opposition in the GOP cannot do much. Political-religious conservatism has been quite damaged since Reagan and people moved on from that and the liberal wing of the GOP has grow strong enough for the fence sitters to be swung to them though whether they can save their party is still up in the air.

Yeah, Electoral College. Why doesn't Rocky go onto Rocky IV?
Yeah, the maps that were made are quite fitting though am wondering if Reagan could’ve lost by even worse amounts XD

honestly, no Rocky IV is because of the changing of the times and Rocky being viewed as something of the 70s though I expect Rocky III would be a bit more different and serious at the same time when it concludes the Rocky trilogy.

Even if there was a Rocky IV, there would likely be no Ivan Drago

I have a question: any planned future for the status of Puerto Rico and Washington DC?
I need to double check but it’s very likely DC would become a state before the end of the millennium, though probably not going by New Colombia.

Puerto Rico is complicated unsurprisingly

Summer 1986- Udall's Second Justice
Summer 1986- Udall's Second Justice

Barbara-Jordan-speaking-at-An-Evening-with-Barbara-Jordan-1986-Frank-Wolfe-LBJ-Library.jpg

New Supreme Court Chief Justice Barbara Charline Jordan

As the summer of 1986 came, the news came on a changing of the guard. Chief Justice Burger would retire after years of good service. While it has been suspected he would've done so for a while, it happened earlier than expected. Burger was known for being the one to write the statement regarding Watergate against Nixon along with being relatively conservative though has made liberal decisions in the past along with his rather hysterical view on homosexuality, which was seen in the 1986 case of Bowers vs Hardwick, which, in a 6-3 case, it was ruled that anti-sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional, much to the jubilee of many people. While it was evenly split, the "Second Civil Rights Act" was enough to push Byron White, a judge known for being factual and approaching each trial case by case without a judicial philosophy. As he would note, though paraphased by an aide. "the Georgia law classifying homosexual sex as illegal sodomy was non-valid because of the text of Second Civil Rights Act." He also noted that more influence came from the impracticality of the law. The majority decision would be placed by Blackmun, joined by Brennan, Marshall, Stevens, Hufstedler and White with the dissent being Burger, Powell and Rehnquist (with Powell later regretting dissenting.) [1]

The case likely pushed Burger to retire and thus a new Chief Justice had to be chosen. Udall's original choice was none other than Thurgood Marshall for the promotion. While Marshall was very flattered by the decision, he noted that he had to decline because of his age, noting that he wouldn't have much of a lengthy tenure in Court. Brennan Jr. gave the same reason for having to decline the promotion and ultimately, it would be noted that a new Supreme Court Chief Justice would need to be found outside of the Court. However, looking through the list, one name stood out and would be chosen to become the next Chief Justice: Barbara Charline Jordan. Barbara was known for being the first African American elected to the Texas Senate after Reconstruction and the first Southern African-American woman elected to the United States House of Representatives. Jordan is known for her eloquent opening statement at the House Judiciary Committee hearings during the impeachment process against Richard Nixon and in 1976, she became the first African-American, and the first woman, to ever deliver a keynote address at a Democratic National Convention. [2] She was quite honored for the invitation and after a bit of time, took the role and would become a Supreme Court Justice. It was a celeberated occason for her rise and the start of the Jordan Court.

Coincidently, this would not be the only case of this in the world. Over in New Zealand, the Homosexual Law Reform Act would be enacted, which decriminalizes consensual sex between men from the age of 16. Beyond that, more developments keep on coming. The Netherlands finishes its construction of the Oosterscheldekering, the world's largest openable storm surge flood barrier. Kurt Waldheim becomes president of Austria despite the allegations of a Nazi past and people looking more into it to see what could be found. Eric Thomas develops LISTSERV, the first email list management software, which would provide one step closer to email becoming more predominant in the lives of people. And after an extensive refurbishment celebrating its centennial, the Statue of Liberty is reopened to the public. While there is plenty still happening, it loked to be a somewhat uneventful summer though people are preparing for the midterm elections over in autumn along with pop culture changes. [3] The Great Moust Detective would prove to be a delightful hit while comic book fans have become more excited and fascinated by the state of DC Comics, who has ushered in a new era after "Crisis of Infinite Earths", a post-Crisis status quo with plenty of changes and new characters to come.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_v._Hardwick
[2]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Jordan
[3]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986

Last edited:
No f-ing way! Chief Justice Barbara Jordan! That is awesome! What a victory for civil rights, the first female Chief Justice in history is also a woman of colour! P.S. I know that a woman of colour was already nominated to the Supreme Court in 1981 by Udall in this timeline but that was just an Associate Justice, the position of Chief Justice is much more prestigious and a much bigger deal. I'm sure the Republicans are gonna be pisssd though. I'm just imagining the blowback to her nomination in the Senate right now from the Republicans. I wonder if this will influence the career of Texas State Treasurer Ann Richards, someone who greatly admired and looked up to Jordan? I vaguely remember reading that Geraldine Ferraro in our timeline considered giving up her speaking time at the 1984 DNC for Richards so maybe she does in this timeline and Richards uses her popularity gained from the speech to run for Governor of Texas four years early with the support of the new Chief Justice.

No f-ing way! Chief Justice Barbara Jordan! That is awesome! What a victory for civil rights, the first female Chief Justice in history is also a woman of colour! P.S. I know that a woman of colour was already nominated to the Supreme Court in 1981 by Udall in this timeline but that was just an Associate Justice, the position of Chief Justice is much more prestigious and a much bigger deal. I'm sure the Republicans are gonna be pisssd though. I'm just imagining the blowback to her nomination in the Senate right now from the Republicans. I wonder if this will influence the career of Texas State Treasurer Ann Richards, someone who greatly admired and looked up to Jordan? I vaguely remember reading that Geraldine Ferraro in our timeline considered giving up her speaking time at the 1984 DNC for Richards so maybe she does in this timeline and Richards uses her popularity gained from the speech to run for Governor of Texas four years early with the support of the new Chief Justice.
GOP isn’t as reactionary as OTL with the crippling of the Reaganites and the growing strength of the Liberal Republicans, though the party’s fate is still in the air and the lack of any real direction is hurting them.

And maybe, though unsure there with Ferraro

GOP isn’t as reactionary as OTL with the crippling of the Reaganites and the growing strength of the Liberal Republicans, though the party’s fate is still in the air and the lack of any real direction is hurting them.

And maybe, though unsure there with Ferraro
I can't wait to see the 1986 midterm elections. I wonder what will happen with Ann Richards and John McCain (will he join the Democrats due to the bad legacy of the Republicans?)

I can't wait to see the 1986 midterm elections. I wonder what will happen with Ann Richards and John McCain (will he join the Democrats due to the bad legacy of the Republicans?)
The GOP still have some stuff left in them though how long they can keep it up or something happens we will see. Any more questions or whatnot?

And I'd figure Barbara Jordan would be a name suggested because of her legacy. Heck, Bill Clinton wanted to nominate her but by that point, her health wasn't very good.

With this new age of equality will Jesse Jackson do better in the 1988 Democratic primaries? I don't believe it was mentioned that he attempted a primary challenge against President Udall (probably for obvious reasons) in '84 so '88 would be his first presidential campaign rather than his second in this timeline. He might even manage to get the second slot on the ticket as the running mate for the Democratic nominee (either VP Reubin Askew or someone else). If that ticket loses I could totally see him running for President again in the '90s or 2000. His son Jesse Jr. might even run on his legacy in 2008 or 2012 until his scandal comes out to the public.

With this new age of equality will Jesse Jackson do better in the 1988 Democratic primaries? I don't believe it was mentioned that he attempted a primary challenge against President Udall (probably for obvious reasons) in '84 so '88 would be his first presidential campaign rather than his second in this timeline. He might even manage to get the second slot on the ticket as the running mate for the Democratic nominee (either VP Reubin Askew or someone else). If that ticket loses I could totally see him running for President again in the '90s or 2000. His son Jesse Jr. might even run on his legacy in 2008 or 2012 until his scandal comes out to the public.
Things definitely are improving, even if there is a lot left to do.

Yeah, no one really ran against Udall. Jesse Jackson might be able to though he might cause some problems due to certain comments in the past.

We’ll see what comes! Happy to answer whatever questions I can and so on!

Any Unix or GNU fans out here? Wondering what are y’all’s thoughts of the Free Software Foundation getting grants from the US government and GNU making its way over to the Soviets as their starting point

Hey what does President Udall's cabinet look like (if you've gotten around to making it that is)?
Edit: If you need any cabinet suggestions I know some people who would likely be in a Democratic President's cabinet in the 1980s