1981: San Francisco 49ers (NFC)
1982: Washington Redskins (NFC)
1983: Los Angeles Raiders (AFC)
1984: San Francisco 49ers (NFC)
1985: Chicago Bears (NFC)
1986: NY Giants (NFC)
1987: Washington Redskins (NFC)
1988: San Francisco 49ers (NFC): Bill Walsh retired immediately after the game
1989: San Francisco 49ers (NFC): George Siefert picks up where the 49ers left off
1990: NY Giants (NFC)
1991: Washington Redskins (NFC)
1992: Dallas Cowboys (NFC)
1993: Dallas Cowboys (NFC): HC Jimmy Johnson fired under mysterious circumstances
1994: San Francisco 49ers (NFC): 5th SB championship in franchise history; Siefert's 2nd SB as HC
1995: Dallas Cowboys (NFC)
1996: Green Bay Packers (NFC)

Summer 1987- Wallcracks
Summer 1987- Wallcracks

762px-Berlin-Memorial_to_the_Victims_of_the_Wall-1982.jpg

Berlin Wall section mentioned in Udall speech
"Mr. Gorbachev, do us all a favor and break the wall"

These rather sassy yet strong words were the memorable words of President Mo Udall during a visit over to West Berlin over in mid June 1987. The speech was a bit controversial and security was beefed out of precaution though Udall's patient approach along with his routes toward peace has made him fairly amicable among a good bit of the Soviets. He called upon for Mikhail Gorbachev to break the wall seperated the two halves of Berlin. The visit was done over in to give a speech, having noted the detrimental influence the wall was having on both sides and if they wanted this stress to really continue. While a respectful speech, the slight edge over on the key phrase was one also of cheekiness. That even with his Parkinson's, the President has not lost his spark and with it, came the wit. While the speech was done to assuage the worries of some of his critics for being too soft, it was done also as a tongue-in-cheek reference to further relaxing of tensions between the two and why still have the wall. Unsurpirsingly, the speech would be viewed as a bit concerning among some of those in the Udall administration and some noted the president was becoming bolder because he could tell his time was coming to an end. Regardless however, it would come to become one of the defining moments over the time period and become much more impactful just a few short years later.

Beyond the wall speech, much was happening in the middle of 1987. While the United States was preparing to deal with the oncoming immigrants as a result of the historic the Peres-Hussein Solution and the subseqent consequences, more history was being made. Teddy Seymour is officially designated the first black man to sail around the world, when he completes his solo sailing circumnavigation in Frederiksted, St. Croix, of the United States Virgin Islands. Another American celeberation would later occur in American woman Lynne Cox becomes the first person to swim the Bering Strait, crossing from Little Diomede Island to Big Diomede in 2 hours and 5 minutes. In additional news regarding the court, in the case of Edwards v. Aguillard, in a near-unanimous stance, the Supreme Court of the United States rules that a Louisiana law requiring that creation science be taught in public schools whenever evolution is taught is unconstitutional. [1] Overall, it seemed like there was a growing wave of positive and support that would be happening throughout the time period.

Around the world, much was happening. The UK would see a change come in with a hung parliament, resulting in the Tories under new leader Sir Geoffrey Howe managing to form a coalition government with the Liberal Democrats with many noting that while the LibDems has nibbled from both parties, they seemed to have taken a substanically bigger bite from the Tory voter base. Roy Hattersley became became leader of the opposition though many have speculated that he may not stay as leader of the Labour party and speculations wondered who it cold be. Many have noted the growing prominence of Peter Shore along with the return of Tony Benn, especially with SATMIN social movements, with the Bennites being predicted to start making a comeback at the time. Other Anglosphere news was on Bob Hawke 's Labor Government having grown an even larger majority government in Australia while Canada would introduce the "Loonie", a one dollar coin. Over in most of Europe, the Single European Act would be published by the European Community. Being the first major revision of the 1957 Treaty of Rome, the SIngle Eurorpean Act would set the European Community an objective of establishing a single market by 31 December 1992. [2] Other political movements could be seen; Taiwan would see the end of martial law in the nation after 38 years while South Korea would see the presidential candidate of the ruling party Roh Tae-woo makes a speech promising a wide program of nationwide reforms, all thanks because of the efforts of the June Democracy Movement. Despite some of the various troubles and pains, with everything moving forward, there was some positive sights encouraging everyone to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987
[2]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_European_Act

Last edited:
Fun Fact: The announcement that led to the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunification was, in fact, a mistake. The East German at the press conference had misspoken. Such an event is naturally very easy to butterfly.

Fun Fact: The announcement that led to the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunification was, in fact, a mistake. The East German at the press conference had misspoken. Such an event is naturally very easy to butterfly.
Really though I think the wall was gonna come down at some point

Really though I think the wall was gonna come down at some point
Touche. Though the specific circumstances surrounding it would be different. Likely the fall of the Berlin Wall would be delayed a few years and be a defining event of the '90s rather than one of the defining events of the end of the '80s.

Touche. Though the specific circumstances surrounding it would be different. Likely the fall of the Berlin Wall would be delayed a few years and be a defining event of the '90s rather than one of the defining events of the end of the '80s.
Possibly though people were still gonna want out of the Soviets' extended reach. Anything else you are liking or whatnot so far?

Did the Soviet False Alarm of September 26, 1983 happen in this timeline or was it avoided?

Possibly though people were still gonna want out of the Soviets' extended reach. Anything else you are liking or whatnot so far?
I'm not saying that it won't happen. Just that without an East German official accidentally making people believe that the Berlin checkpoints were open the wall would stay up for a smidge longer.

Personally, my favorite thing about this timeline is the absence of Reganomics. America does not need trickle-down bullshit.

I'm not saying that it won't happen. Just that without an East German official accidentally making people believe that the Berlin checkpoints were open the wall would stay up for a smidge longer.

Personally, my favorite thing about this timeline is the absence of Reganomics. America does not need trickle-down bullshit.
More like it got tried in the late 1970s and it capped off a dozen years of neocon failure that it got the boot, but yeah, very much.

Though figuring out the future of the ecbomy without Reaganomics is really difficult to visualize. Heck, I asked that and most people struggled, even those with more economic knowlwedge than me XD

Loving the updates. For Gorbachev, when you get to the 90's, have some ideas for candidates to take over from him as Soviet President, if that office is created in this TL.

More like it got tried in the late 1970s and it capped off a dozen years of neocon failure that it got the boot, but yeah, very much.

Though figuring out the future of the ecbomy without Reaganomics is really difficult to visualize. Heck, I asked that and most people struggled, even those with more economic knowlwedge than me XD
With Reagan suffering from about the same, if not worse, reputation as Carter in OTL it makes sense that his economic policy would be discredited too. Especially with the moderate Republicans in control. I'm just glad that TTL will not have to deal with multiple future presidents doing the same "tax cuts for the rich" crap while ignoring that it's failed every time.

That would be a puzzling thing to conceive. How do you imagine a world where the economic policy of every Republican President for forty years doesn't exist? I have it on good faith that you'll be able to figure out how such a world would look like.

With Reagan suffering from about the same, if not worse, reputation as Carter in OTL it makes sense that his economic policy would be discredited too. Especially with the moderate Republicans in control. I'm just glad that TTL will not have to deal with multiple future presidents doing the same "tax cuts for the rich" crap while ignoring that it's failed every time.

That would be a puzzling thing to conceive. How do you imagine a world where the economic policy of every Republican President for forty years doesn't exist? I have it on good faith that you'll be able to figure out how such a world would look like.
It's even worse. His aggression over the Panama Canal would lead to Torrijos pulling an OTL plan he had if negotiations failed and damaged the Canal, thus causing a major gut punch to the economy. Reagan only got credit for economic recovery because he got lucky when voted along when reversing some of his tax cuts, but didnt mention it (that and rehiring Paul Volcker and spending alot in military).

From the basics, I would picture a slow down would still happen, but it'd be gradual growth, not stagnation. That and probably various infrastructure projects to help, like what's going on with electrifying American Rail (after the success of Conrail, Udall administration expanded it and now electrifying it, so it and Amtrak is gonna be bigger than OTL).

Loving the updates. For Gorbachev, when you get to the 90's, have some ideas for candidates to take over from him as Soviet President, if that office is created in this TL.
No clue and well, things are gonna be... interesting for the USSR when that time comes.