Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

I think public pressure will require the treason trial, unless Nixon is no longer President when Aleshire goes into the dock.
If Nixon is still president then if the justice department doesn't put Aleshire up for treason then the Republicans get to argue that his talk on "Not having a crook as a president" is just hot air for letting "America's biggest traitor since Benedict Arnold" off with treason.
If Nixon and Justice Department can kick the can down the road until either his second term or a Republican President is in office then the treason charge can be quietly dropped as you suggest.
Although keeping Aleshire in anything other than SuperMax solitary confinement is essentially a death sentence by the back door. That said, I doubt anyone in US Law Enforcement would shed a tear if Aleshire was the victim of "unfortunate prison violence".

@ejpsan it may be that Aleshire, after all possible outcomes have been explained to him, commits suicide before trial.
Especially if it's hinted that, as you suggest, his wife gets to keep his service pension and get an assumed name. She is in essence an innocent victim of Aleshire's actions.

Of course, if he takes this route, TTL's AH board will probably have a rule against claiming Aleshire's suicide as a conspiracy in the same way the OTL board has a rule against claiming Kennedy's assassination was an inside job.

There has been numerous times the government hasn't charged people with espionage or treason for National Security reasons , but instead they allowed people to plead guilty to lesser charges like Tax Evasion or Bribe Receiving in order to keep sensitive information from becoming public.
A scenario in my mind has Aleshire in pretrial lock up when he is informed that his attorney has arrived, and when he gets to the interview room it turns out that it is Jack Kennedy.
Aleshire KNOWS who his biggest client is, and that is going to scare him beyond all comprehension.
Kennedy tells Aleshire to keep his mouth shut and take any deal that the government offers him, in return the Germans will make sure that his family is taken care of, if he doesn't then the Germans will "Take Care of His Family".

Of course, if he takes this route, TTL's AH board will probably have a rule against claiming Aleshire's suicide as a conspiracy in the same way the OTL board has a rule against claiming Kennedy's assassination was an inside job
??????
That's....ok. definitely not what I was expecting there as kick or banworthy...

@ejpsan
Thanks for that. Some excellent points I'd overlooked.
Kennedy as a "consultant" lawyer would be a very good plan. After the various cases he's defended, this could see him pick up an international reputation. Especially considering as an Irishman, (actual Irish rather than Boston Irish now), he would be seen as a neutral.

Part 137, Chapter 2349
Chapter Two Thousand Three Hundred Forty-Nine

5th January 1975

Mill Valley, California

“We are building a production facility up north near Novato” George said, “My people think that we will be able to push special effects ever further.”

“Now that you can just throw money at any technical problems” Gerta replied, “I assume it has gotten easier.”

George just shrugged.

“We also have big name studios lining up to work with us once this latest film is complete” George said, “We are in the midst of principal photography right now.”

Gerta knew that George was in an enviable position and as one of his key backers, she was making out quite well from the investment. The trouble was that she had read the script for the latest film, one that she knew would challenge the audience. In her experience, in mass media people didn’t typically like being challenged. They wanted escapism and Gerta didn’t know how an exploration on the nature of war and human nature through a Zen Buddhist lens would sit with them. Particularly the part where it sinks for the protagonists that victory is ultimately out of their reach and that they are just repeating a bloody cycle.

At the same time, George had seen his vision through in the first two movies and the results spoke for themselves. Gerta wasn’t about to scuttle the project by cutting off the money, still she, along with many others had concerns and that was why she was in Mill Valley having a breakfast meeting with George after spending most of the previous day flying from Bohemia and getting a taste of the infamous California traffic. It was like they were allergic to any sort of transit other than their cars and it showed with the crawling pace from the San Francisco Airport to Marin County.

“As I am sure you know, the investors have concerns” Gerta said, “Mostly about the commercial viability of this film.”

“They always do” George replied, “That is what happens when you push the limits.”

“That is like driving fast” Gerta said, “Right up until you discover that there is a reason why roads have guard rails and the worst that happens is that you damage your car because you took a turn too fast.”

“That is one way to look at it” George replied.

Gerta knew from the way he said it, that in the future George would discover that having people unwilling to tell him “No” would ultimately be to his detriment.

Rome, Italy

The mood in the capital was odd, if Cosimo de Medici had to describe it he might have called it restrained jubilation.

News had reached Rome that Vittorio Emanual, Prince of Naples, and Heir to the Italian throne had taken the switchbacks of the Stelvio Pass at high-speed in his Ferrari 365 GTS/4 “Daytona” while in what everyone was assuming he was in the intoxicated state that he had more or less been in for the last decade and had missed a turn with fatal results. Cosimo felt that it was quite tragic because that had been a really nice car. There were already rumors that it had actually been an assassination, Cosimo knew that was a load of bullshit. Mostly because if that actually were the case, he would been the one rig the brakes on Vittorio’s car. Ironically, it had been the topic of conversations that Cosimo had with Umberto on several different occasions.

King Umberto of Italy and Queen Marie-José were understandably upset over the death of their oldest son. They were in seclusion with their daughters being the only ones allowed to see them and it had fallen on Cosimo, in his newly official role as the Marchese of Siena and King’s Consigliere to keep Umberto’s office in order during his absence.

Even before this, things had not been well in the royal household over the last couple years. Umberto had been pressuring Vittorio to take the responsibilities of his role seriously, presumably that involved marriage and producing an adequate heir. The trouble was that the Prince’s reputation as a playboy preceded him, and no woman of suitable birth wanted anything to do with him. There were also a number of illegitimate children whose claims of paternity would further snarl matters in the years ahead.

The only people more upset were the leadership of Movimento per una Repubblica Italiana. They had just lost the greatest ally that they had ever known. Cosimo couldn’t imagine that Prince Amedeo Giovanni of Aosta was happy with this development. He was serving Italy as the Captain commanding the RN Audace, a Destroyer that was regarded as one of the finest ships in the Italian Navy. He had been guarding Italian interests in the Dodecanese Islands against the day that the Greeks and Turks do something stupid again. Cosimo knew that because one of his sons, Cesare, was an Officer in the Italian Army and he had seen Amedeo in Rhodes just a few days earlier. Word was that he had been ordered to return to Rome by the most expeditious means.

Messages of condolence were coming in from around the world and Cosimo flipped through them. The American President Nixon had sent one. Kaiser Friedrich IV of Germany was next, he was the closest thing that Vittorio ever had to a genuine friend. Too bad he didn’t follow the German Kaiser’s example in how to conduct himself. There was one from Princess Kristina zu Hohenzollern, Friedrich’s younger sister who had once been seen as a possible match for Vittorio. She had threatened to join a celibate religious order in response. While that might have been the first time that had happened, it wouldn’t be the last. There were dozens more that were coming in and it struck Cosimo as a very cynical exercise. As if any of these people were experiencing anything other than relief that Italy’s problematic Crown Prince was now out of the picture.

Last edited:
Seeing George Lucas pop up made me wonder if we would see one or more if his future alumni pop up in the story.

In particular the human walrus.
Then I read a bit more about him. If he continues his OTL career path ITTL, with a slight twerk, he could end up at university with Marie.
OTL he was a scuba instructor, outdoor survival instructor and Russian linguist. He has the kind of experience Marie would find interesting, and a later meeting with Tante Gerta...

Marie Mischner-Blackwood Hyneman does have a certain ring to it...

Poor France, stuck in a Europe with all these monarchies and now Italy won't even join them in the Republic club.

At this point I'd assume that there is some snarky bastard somewhere in Paris joking about whether they are due another Bonaparte or Orleanist in charge.

News had reached Rome that Vittorio Emanual, Prince of Naples, and Heir to the Italian throne had taken the switchbacks of the Stelvio Pass at high-speed in his Ferrari 365 GTS/4 “Daytona” while in what everyone was assuming he was in the intoxicated state that he had more or less been in for the last decade and had missed a turn with fatal results. Cosimo felt that it was quite tragic because that had been a really nice car.
Crown Prince Vittorio Emanual finally does Italy, and the women of the world, a favour. Sadly, for his family, the car will be mourned more than their son.
There were already rumors that it had actually been an assassination, Cosimo knew that was a load of bullshit. Mostly because if that actually were the case, he would been the one rig the brakes on Vittorio’s car. Ironically, it had been the topic of conversations that Cosimo had with Umberto on several different occasions.
A smoking room in an exclusive Gentlemen's Club in Rome, many, many years later:
Cosimo (brandy in hand): "Of course, it wasn't an assassination. Italy's rivals and enemies wanted Vittorio on the throne. The Republicans knew he was the greatest recruiting tool for their movement. As for the conservatives, for most of them he was the crown prince and that was good enough. For the rest, they would have had to approach me or people known to me, and I would never do that to the King. And they all knew it. Vittorio may have been an idiot, but Umberto loved him."
Biographer: "The conspiracy nuts will never believe that it wasn't an assassination."
The only people more upset was the leadership of Movimento per una Repubblica Italiana. They had just lost their greatest ally that they had ever known.
Italian Republicans and paparazzi: "NOOOOOO!!!!!!"
Cosimo couldn’t imagine that Prince Amedeo Giovanni of Aosta was happy with this development.
No-one wants to get a promotion over the death of a relative.
There was one from Princess Kristina zu Hohenzollern, Friedrich’s younger sister who had once been seen as a possible match for Vittorio. She had threatened to join a celibate religious order in response.
Kira really should have paid more attention to what Kiki said back then. It would have saved her a lot of pain from that broken nose and bruised ego.

I got a kick from BearCal at alternatealternatehistory.com for posting that it was Emperor-Ermitus Louis Ferdinand who cut the breaks on Crown Prince Vittorio Emanuel's car as a favor to his parents...
But the main lesson is that is what the spares are for, just in case the heir is not up to the task by dying or marrying an inappropriate consort.
So is Prince Amedeo Giovanni married or seeing someone serious?
If not, he just moved into the Number One slot for the title of "The World's Most Eligible Bachelor" and King Michael of Romania has five unmarried daughters...

There's still Switzerland, which is I'm guessing still a directorial republic ITTL as well.
There's Switzerland, Ireland, probably Portugal (as much as I like any excuse to go re-read the entire story, I'm not travelling back to see if Portugal wound up back on the dark side) and maybe Iceland (don't know if they are independent or not) for European Republics.

That's not much of a club truth be told.

OH and possibly Hungary? Can't remember what exactly went down there.

I give you the top portion of Stelvo Pass, the switchbacks go all the way down into the valley. It is easy to see why missing a turn would be bad. In the 70's the crash barriers were not there, it wasn't until this after this road was featured in car commercials and a James Bond film that most of them got put in.
90b1c65a-8b8a-412d-8a9b-df037ec71612_1000.jpg