Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Land taxes in Germany are based on the value of the land.
They are every where. The issue is that land usage is what determines that value, usually. Prime agricultural land is usually valued higher than rugged hillsides. Urban & industrial land are typically rated higher than agricultural. This is why New York, Tokyo & London are stupidly overpriced compared to the less urban areas. However, population density is also a factor when it comes to funding necessary local infrastructure, which is why some low-density mostly rural areas can have ridiculously high land taxes per capita, even though land prices are relatively low, leading to the locals struggling to pay said taxes, especially if the main industry of the region is agricultural & large parts of the land is ill suited to farming.

I suspect that Ben's new Bavarian holdings were such a block of land; saddled with a high taxation rate, but with a low price per hectare AND low income generation, due to a primarily agricultural local economy. Which would be the reason the King off-loaded them, even though he probably doesn't have to pay the local taxes. By looking outside the box when viewing the economic potential of his holdings, Ben has been able to meet those taxes.

If an observatory is built on Ben's property by the University of Berlin look for the inclusion of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich in to the project as a way to offset costs but mostly to head off any possible roadblocks by Bavarian officials who may look at the fact that the University of Berlin is trying to expand its influence at the expense of the hometown university.
Having something like a hotel with additional conference rooms will attract leading astronomers from around the world and a lot of amateur astronomers who have a lot of money who will want contribute to the project.

In the mid 1960's OTL there was the start of the development of the sport of Hang Gliding, Ben is a pilot, have him lease a launch and landing area to a club and also encourage a constructor to set up shop close by!

In the mid 1960's OTL there was the start of the development of the sport of Hang Gliding, Ben is a pilot, have him lease a launch and landing area to a club and also encourage a constructor to set up shop close by!
And perhaps an earlier development of paragliding & BASE jumping?

ferdi254

Banned
If it is really only mountains the land tax would be zero. Infrastructure is paid in a different way in Germany.

The Gierenkopf sounds like it could be a good site for a training school. Looking at the maps and photographs I can say that as a Paraglider pilot for over twenty five years I can say that I would certainly want to visit the area as it would seem to be very good flying country for all grades of pilots.

I had a vision today of Zella having to do a piece on this observatory, and as part of it, Ben having to do a puff piece on astronomy and the planets, and someone higher up the chain from Zella seeing him do that and get an idea.

And that's how Ben becomes the German Carl Sagan....

And that's how Ben becomes the German Carl Sagan....
Given the less then friendly feelings that Zella has for Ben the conflict between Zella being professional and wanting to make Ben look like a fool on camera to the world would be very interesting to see how that plays out.
I am betting that Zella's friendship with Kiki will win out but there will be subtle digs at Ben.

Given the less then friendly feelings that Zella has for Ben the conflict between Zella being professional and wanting to make Ben look like a fool on camera to the world would be very interesting to see how that plays out.
I am betting that Zella's friendship with Kiki will win out but there will be subtle digs at Ben.
“...and just as the observatory ushers in a new era of science for Germany so to does it for Princess Kristina and Ben? Relationship. Just as it did all those years ago,” Zella says as Ben promptly glares at her.

Part 109, Chapter 1793
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Ninety-Three

23rd April 1967

Fort Drum, New York

So far, the whole training exercise by German 7th Recon had been a comedy of errors. They had arrived just in time for the spring blizzard to shut down the East Coast from DC all the way up to Maine on the 26th of March. They had spent several days just digging their way out from under that, throwing off the entire timetable. After a certain point everyone had just given up trying to meet the ambitious goals and had settled for checking boxes and pretending that they were doing something that might be called diplomacy. The blizzard of a month earlier had given way to cool dry weather which meant that the snow was lingering in the shadows. Manny buttoned his coat and knew that if it were any colder his breath would be smoking this afternoon as he made his way across the parade ground. Some men from the US Army’s 42nd “Rainbow” Infantry Division stared at him as he walked by. With his uniform and black Panzer Corps beret with the Recon Infantry insignia of an eagle clutching lightning bolts, he stood out here. The fact that, as Major Parker had pointed out, he looked like the stereotypical German soldier to most Americans didn’t help. For some reason they thought that everyone in the Heer was two meters tall and ate babies for breakfast.

The troops of the 42nd that made up the garrison of Fort Drum were more typical of the US Army than the 1st Special Forces Group that was based here. That the Regiment sized Special Forces Unit was frequently at odds with the regular Division was hardly a surprise, the same thing happened back in Germany wherever the KSK set up shop. The difference was that the KSK was a Composite Unit composed of detachments of the Jäger Units from all the Service Branches. The Panzer Corps had only grudgingly allowed Infantry component of 7th Recon into the KSK and that was rumored to have involved a bit of horse trading between Hans and Kat von Mischner. Not even Manny could get the details which was a surprise because they were his father and aunt.

Entering the Mess Hall and grabbing a tray that was loaded with highly questionable food, Manny saw the Noncoms were at the table where they normally ate lunch. Jost was seated at the end of the table and keeping a close eye on the Soldaten seated a few meters away. He had promised bloody ruin upon anyone who made their outfit look bad while they were in the United States. It was well known that the Oberstaber rarely bluffed when it came to matters like that. So far, no one had been stupid or crazy enough to call his bluff, but it was only a matter of time and the Americans would be in for quite a show. The irony was that while Jost watched the enlisted closely, the table he was sitting at had Senior Noncoms from the 7th and Green Beret sitting at it was well. It was the very definition of trouble brewing.

“You won’t be eating with the riffraff much longer” Jost said as Manny sat down.

Manny just shrugged in reply, he knew that Jost still had the authority to kick his ass and one never knew when Jost might be looking to pick a fight. When he had been appointed to be Oberstlieutenant Weber’s Aide, it had checked the last box before his departure for the Platoon Commander’s Course at the War Academy in Berlin. Doing his best to ignore the taste of his meal, rubbery mystery meat in cream sauce served on toasted bread. What the Americans referred to as shit on a shingle. Manny found himself rereading the letter that had arrived a few hours earlier.

“What you got there?” Ritchie asked.

“A letter from Suse Rosa” Manny replied, “She says that everyone at her University is gaga about a mirror that they have been asked to design.”

“A mirror?” Ritchie asked.

“That sounds like something that an elf would be involved with” Jost said with a snort, earning a dirty look from Manny in the process.

“Suse isn’t an elf” Manny replied, “You know full well that she would kick you in the balls for saying that.”

“Can she reach that high?” Jost asked.

“What’s this about a mirror?” Ritchie asked, “And an elf?”

“Suse attends a Technical University” Manny replied, “They have this idea that they can build the world’s largest reflector telescope, slightly larger than one that is already in use in Southern California.”

“The Hale telescope?” Ritchie asked.

“You’ve heard of it?” Manny asked in reply.

“I live in Los Angeles, duh” Ritchie said as if that meant anything to either Manny or Jost. “I took the tour when I was in school.”

“She mentions that Professors from the California Technical Institute are just as interested in seeing how they plan to build it” Manny said, looking at the letter.

“What’s this about an elf?” Ritchie asked.

“Manfred’s girlfriend, Suse Rosa Knispel, is only a meter and a half tall” Jost replied, “She might not be an elf, but she looks the part. Show him the photograph.”

It was a picture that had come with the letter today, Suse sitting in the cockpit of a glider with room to spare that Manny doubted he ever wedge himself into. He handed it to Ritchie who just stared at it.

“She is totally not what I would have expected” Ritchie said.

Last edited:
I have finally come to realize that this timeline is not an "Ameri-screw" but it is a What If IOTL was not so much an"Ameri-wank".
The Hale Telescope was designed at Cornell University as a joint project with CalTech that funded by the Rockefeller Foundation and was manufactured by Corning Glass in Upstate New York.
If and when Jost goes all medieval on his underlings the U.S. Army NCOs will be in awe and will want him to give them lessons and he will become a "No Shit" story that is told over and over.

If and when Jost goes all medieval on his underlings the U.S. Army NCOs will be in awe and will want him to give them lessons and he will become a "No Shit" story that is told over and over.

They can also say they saw the Man, Jost, who was taught by the MAN, Hans, who was taught by THE MAN, Horst. This will be the start of not just the “ No shit there I was” stories, but they will be written down to be passed onto the succeeding generations of NCO’s.

They can also say they saw the Man, Jost, who was taught by the MAN, Hans, who was taught by THE MAN, Horst. This will be the start of not just the “ No shit there I was” stories, but they will be written down to be passed onto the succeeding generations of NCO’s.
Actually, Hans and Jost were both there when Horst greeted them as they got off the train in 1936.

Last edited:
I wonder when it will be that someone suggests using a rotating platform of mercury as a reflector mirror?

I wonder when it will be that someone suggests using a rotating platform of mercury as a reflector mirror?
1850, according to one source I found online: Liquid mirror telescopes by Jure Koprčina, Ljubljana, May 2016.

"The idea of using a rotating liquid to focus light is nothing new. The Italian E. Capocci was the first who described this possibility in print in 1850, but he never put the idea into practice [9]. The concept was initially demonstrated in 1872, when Henry Skey of the Dunedin Observatory in New Zealand constructed a 35-centimeter-diameter liquid mirror in his laboratory. First complete liquid-mirror telescopes were built in 1909 by R. W. Wood."

Has anyone ever gotten that to work?

The same source states that NASA had a 3 metre diameter one operating between 1995 - 2002 and that there was a 6 metre diameter Large Zenith Telescope in British Columbia, Canada. Sadly, it does not appear if any are currently in commission. Wikipedia lists the LZT as being decommissioned last year (2019).

Last edited:

Grimbald

Monthly Donor
it has been years.... but as I recall a rotating hemisphere of mercury can only give you a spherical surface. The best scopes of that era needed a parabolic surface. (My physics is 50 years out of date; feel free to correct)

Part 109, Chapter 1794
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Ninety-Four

7th May 1967

Potsdam

The recent elections in Russia had placed the Monarchist/Nationalist block firmly in control of the Duma. While that was good news for Czar Georgy, it wasn’t for nearly everyone else from the Black Sea to the Baltic who nervously watched a resurgent Russia. Recent events in Greece and the Balkans were examples of Russia flexing its muscle as an emerging power. Louis found himself reminding everyone that they needed to play the extremely old game of keeping the Russians on side while trying to contain that vast country to its own borders. Closer to home, Louis found that after months cooped up in the penthouse apartment, a change of scenery had been desperately needed. Assessing the Summer Residence ahead of the busy season that was planned had been welcomed as soon as the idea had been suggested.

From the window of his Potsdam office Louis was watching Nella and Nan run around the gardens chased after by Weisse, a puppy that was all oversized ears, paws and silky fur that was completely at odds him being mostly Whippet. The pup’s name was actually Berliner Weisse, a direct reference to his sire Rauchbier and the theme which all of his brothers and sisters reflected as well. In Weisse’s particular case, he had been the runt of the litter that had been named after various types of beer, he had been named after a kind of small beer as a result. Between that and his irregularly patterned black and white coat, he had been deemed unsuitable for the ambition of Kennel Master of Hohenzollern Castle for developing the Swabian Windhund. However, he was perfect for being the companion of two seven-year-old girls who were euphoric at the prospect of having a dog of their own.

“It was wonderful that you were able to arrange for them to get their birthday gift early” Charlotte said as she joined Louis at the window. The harsh truth was that no paper records existed of Nan’s actual birthday and her “Aunt” Gudrun hadn’t cared enough to remember, so they had celebrated it on the same date as Nella’s, the 2nd of June. That seemed to have stuck.

“Nan seems genuinely happy” Louis replied, “She isn’t running away and hiding as much as she used to.”

“She shouldn’t feel that she needs to hide at all” Charlotte said.

“That is only going to change when Nan discovers that fighting is preferable” Louis replied.

“What a terrible thing to say.”

“It was how it worked out for all the girls in this family” Louis said, “Even the last one who really hid herself away like Nan.”

“Which one is that?” Charlotte asked, unaware that had been the case.

“Kristina” Louis said, “The difference is that she locked her bedroom door for days at a time once she discovered that she could do that.”

Charlotte looked out at the girls playing in the gardens. “When I hear about Kristina’s childhood, I can only think about how lonely she must have been” She said.

“Kira not understanding her didn’t help matters” Louis said, “She expected her to be a social butterfly when she was given opportunities. The problem is that Kristina just doesn’t work that way and she found the situations her mother thrust her into exhausting. The twins were worse in a way, Marie Cecilie and Victoria preferred each other’s company as children, often forming a united front against everyone else, including their mother.”

“Victoria” Charlotte said, “I cannot believe the gall of Albrecht of Bavaria, asking if she would be willing to marry his son. As if you could make that choice. That’s like something from a century ago. He doesn’t know about her, how she is, does he?”

“If he did, it might just make him more enthusiastic about the whole idea” Louis said, “It would be a sham marriage in more ways than one. To keep up appearances for both families, would be how he would put it. Fortunately, this is not a century ago, so I can tell Albrecht that it’s not up to me and to talk to Victoria himself. I’m sure that will be a fun conversation if it ever happens.”

Charlotte was a bit surprised by that.

Mitte, Berlin

Sitting in her bedroom, Zella contemplated the phone call with Aurora. She had suggested to Zella that perhaps it was time that she moved out of her parent’s house. She was done with University and was successful in her own right. Why was she living under her parent’s roof and following their rules? Rather than complaining about it to Aurora, who didn’t want to hear it, she ought to do something. The trouble was that despite the frequent disagreements that Zella with her mother, it was clear that they didn’t want her to leave. It was easy for Aurora to say that; she had been living and working in Hamburg planning advertising campaigns for Krupp Steel which meant that Zella hardly got to see her anymore. It would be nice to go back to when Zella had lived with Kiki and Aurora in the University Dormitory, life was a lot easier and Zella had been happy back then.

For lack of anything better to do, Zella started opening the mail that had been delivered to her over the previous week. There were a number of letters from people she knew congratulating her for her coverage of the Bratwurst War on April Fool’s Day the month before and suggesting several ideas of what she might do next year. Then buried under the pile of letters, was a large, flat package. Opening it she saw that it was a vinyl LP with a garish album cover that was a bit unsettling to look at, the title was Moondogs, Spiraling. Enclosed was a note; EMI is trying to bury this, give it a listen and see if you can do something about that -John. It seemed that John was at war with the record company again, hardly a surprise really.

Last edited: