Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

Mini Chapter: McClellan, Sheridan and Sherman
"Gents, the President of the United States." Thomas Bayard stepped aside and extended his arm to the doorway, the members of the cabinet stood from their seats and watched as Little Mac entered the room. Mac was desperate for this moment, truly it was the only thing he had wanted for the past two decades. Finally he was here. He knew it wouldn't be easy, but that hadn't stopped him in the past, George McClellan did not lose. Perhaps he failed at achieving a total victory on occasion... but that was aside from the point.

"Thank you Thomas," Mac shook his Secretary of State's hand and stepped to the front of the large brown table in the center of the room.

"Friends, a quick moment of silence for Mr. Hancock, he will be missed," George closed his eyes and stood in silence for a few seconds. That was the first and last time he would speak of Mr. Hancock during his administration. When he opened his eyes, Hancock was truly dead and buried.

"To business, I no longer require the assistance of Mr. Hampton. I expect a resignation on my desk tomorrow," Wade Hampton's eyes widened.

"Excuse me? Mac I-"

"You may go," Wade stood in disbelief, he had been a good Treasurer. The economy was damn stable.

"Mac, no you can't fire Wade. Expect my resignation as well," Navy Secretary McClernand piped up.

"Unfortunate, but very well, you may also leave Mr. McClernand," Mac was determined and stared at the last two southern men in his little council. Both men shuffled out in shock. The remainder of the cabinet stared at Mac. Admittedly scared of what was next.

"I will not allow traitors, current or former to advise me Gentlemen, you must understand," McClellan sat.

"Do not treat this room as one of governance, treat it as one of war. Even Abraham Lincoln knew my competency as an organizer," He smiled, Lincoln was a bastard. Oh what would he think now?

"We have a war to fight my friends. A war to keep decency in this sacred mansion. It is our job to root out the radicals and the traitors. Sensibility is my aim. If it is not yours I implore you, get out." Mac waited a moment. None of the men got up.

"Good, now go to your Departments and imitate my strength," McClellan stood and walked towards the door.

"Hip, hip!"

"Hooray!" His cabinet yelled almost involuntarily. Little Mac smiled as he left for his office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANG. The buck in the distance fell to the ground. Dead.

"HA! Still have it," Commanding general of the United States Army, Fightin' Phil lowered his rifle and turned to his assistant. Phil wore hunting attire, his 'page boy' wore Army blue and took the rifle.

"Good shot General," Phil smiled again and strolled towards the distant body. He then stopped abruptly. He heard hooves.

"Who is that Jack?" He pointed to the distant horse riders.

"I uh, I don't know General-"

"Isn't it your fucking job to know?" Phil stared at his company, then back to the men riding towards them.

"Fine, I enjoy good surprise," the men rode closer and they became more visible. There were three, two in uniform and the one in the center in a suit. As the approached, Sheridan recognized the center suit wearer.

"Why? That isn't the former Vice President is it!?" Rutherford Hayes rode up to the General and removed his hat.

"Indeed it is. Good afternoon General, I came out to the War Department, you weren't there. I hope I am not intruding on your fun."

"No! Of course not, I always welcome friends," Hayes hopped off of his horse and strolled up to Sheridan.

"You and Roscoe did alright back in 80'. Correct me if I am incorrect General, but I think it was Mr. Conkling who weighed the ticket down..." Hayes' eyes narrowed.

"I see where this is going Hayes..." Phil pointed to one of his men.

"Hand the former Vice President a gun, lets continue our hunt," He turns back to Hayes.

"We can discuss politics later my friend..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mr. Harrison our cooperation is imperative. Tomorrow morning I hope to see you vote aye," PPT Edmunds stood and shook Senator Harrison's hand firmly.

"I will certainly consider it Mr. Pro Temp. I hope our parties don't remain divided forever."

"As do I sir. On your way out please invite Mr. Sherman in," Harrison nodded, grabbed his hat and left Edmunds' office. After a moment Senator John Sherman walked in.

"George! How are you my friend?"

"Well John, well."

"What were you and Ben discussing?"

"The Hill act, we need Republican support I'm afraid, the Homers just wont budge," Sherman shook his head.

"I see. I'll see what I can do among our ranks. Why did you call me in?" Edmunds sat back in his chair.

"The convention is coming up..." Sherman nodded

"My name will be placed into contention."

"I assumed so John, glad to get confirmation. You have my whole hearted support... if... well," Edmunds eyes narrowed.

"You are going through with the motion to combine with the Republicans?" Sherman exclaimed slowly.

"I don't know if it'll pass, but it may be worth it. We'd easily beat the Democrats together. Maybe it's time to..."

"No George. We've been split too long just to recombine now. The Republican base has drifted towards radical insanity. I think we can win this one on our own. We've held Congress for four years with huge majorities-"

"That's what scares me John. The people usually don't look favorably upon the majority party in these halls..."

"Maybe years ago. Yet in 82' our mandate was reaffirmed. People loved Adams. We just need to find a way to tap in to that love..."

1884 Conventions to come soon....

Good update, can't wait for the conventions, it's certainly going to be interesting. It seems that some Liberals want to get back with the Republicans, doesn't look like it'll happen.

Fascinating to see how the development has instigated at mixture of straining and mending relationships.

Also McLellan's bit Red like a good Saturday Night comedy skit.

Phone updates. Conventions are so fun to write sometimes!

Did Hancock still utter his famous "the tariff is a local question" quote during the '80 election? He will definitely be seen as a very ill-prepared President.

McClellan's comment about war against the republicans is funny. I wonder if he will make any comments About fearing overwhelming odds just like he did during battles

Phone updates. Conventions are so fun to write sometimes!

Did Hancock still utter his famous "the tariff is a local question" quote during the '80 election? He will definitely be seen as a very ill-prepared President.

McClellan's comment about war against the republicans is funny. I wonder if he will make any comments About fearing overwhelming odds just like he did during battles
Hancock’s 1880 campaign basically dodged any questions of the actual policies he held kinda like OTL. He was similar to both Conkling and Clay in most respects. The democratic campaign was nearly entirely clowning on Republican mishaps and Conkling’s unpopularity. It was kinda just their year, so ITL he never does talk about Tarrifs as a local issue.

McClellan is gonna be a lot of fun in the next two chapters to deal with….

Chapter 19: The Nominations for 84' pt.1
DNC
Presidential Ballot1Vice Presidential Ballot12
W. Hampton III411H. Davis200388
G. McClellan388W. Rosecrans17656
Others11J. Black9832

"Since the death of President Hancock and before, the 1884 DNC was keeping people on the edge of their seats. President McClellan had made it very clear that he wanted the nomination. He had diehard supporters, mostly from the Bourbon Democrats in the mid atlantic and midwest. The main opponent of McClellan was former Confederate General, South Carolinian Congressman and recently fired SoT under Hancock and McClellan, Wade Hampton III. Hampton had a chip on his shoulder towards McClellan, especially after little Mac and the Bourbons fired the Redeemers in the administration. Both Hampton and McClellan knew that there would only be one ballot, there were the only two options that were seriously presented to the convention hall.

In the hours that led up to the vote Redeemers and Bourbons viscously debated, some even physically fighting on the street. McClellan himself was hoping for a deadlock, then to make deals with the smaller candidates, but the mood of the hall was obviously against that. After some surprise votes from the West Virginian and Connecticut delegations, Hampton came out on top, albeit barely.

As to why this happened there are three primary reasons. One, a portion of Bourbon Democrats left the party in 1876 and 1880, joining the Liberals. Two, the five man delegation from the state of Lincoln were open McClellan supporters, ironically hurting his chances among the rest of the convention and three, basically no one in the hall really liked McClellan's personality...

Almost immediately there was a riot of chaos. Bourbons, fearing a Louisianian affair on a party level began to protest loudly. All eyes were on the President who stood at the back of the hall in disbelief. Looking towards his support, he rushed to the side of the room, made a makeshift stage from tables and spoke loudly.

'WE CANNOT LET TRAITORS AND RABBLE ROUSERS TO ASSUME CONTROL OVER OUR GRAND PARTY! FOLLOW ME! FOLLOW ME!'

McClellan and around 70 percent of the Bourbons walked out of the hall in Louisville. They went across the street with plans to nominate a 'true' Democratic candidate. History remembers the McClellan splitters as the Bourbon Party or 'Macky Dems'. At the time they simply referred to themselves as Democrats or real Democrats.

After the dramatic exit of the Bourbons, the remaining people in the actual Democratic Party voted on a Vice Presidential choice. Two former Union Generals, John Black and William Rosecrans were considered. Neither gained too much steam however, seen as their last General just stormed out in a temper tantrum. The hall went with a Senator from West Virginia named Henry G. Davis. An inoffensive right wing Bourbon politician. When the dust settled the remaining delegates of the Democratic Party knew that much was to come...

DEMOCRATIC NOMINEES
WADE HAMPTON III FOR PRESIDENT
HENRY G. DAVIS FOR VICE PRESIDENT

BNC
Presidential Ballot1Vice Presidential Ballot1
G. McClellan336T. Bayard336

The 'Bourbon' convention held across the street on the same day as the DNC in 1884 was a short and loud affair. Unanimously President McClellan was nominated and after the endorsement from Little Mac, SoS Thomas Bayard was selected as the Vice Presidential nominee. The balloting is the least interesting part of the 'BNC'. What mattered was the national response. Such a brazen and wide split in the Democratic party was appalling. While most Bourbon Democrats pledged support to the new party many stayed loyal to the 'True Democrats'. Two weeks after the balloting, a proper Bourbon Convention was held in Newark. Popular names like Charles O'Conner, General John Palmer and even former Presidential nominee Samuel J. Tilden spoke in open support of President McClellan. Once again Little Mac was on top of the world. Traitors had tried to stop him. They had failed...

BOURBON NOMINEES
GEORGE B. MCCLELLAN FOR PRESIDENT
THOMAS BAYARD FOR VICE PRESIDENT

FNC
Presidential Ballot1Vice Presidential Ballot1
F. Douglass68L. Cincinnatus54
L. Cincinnatus14U. Grant21
RNC Nominee11B. Bruce19
LNC Nominee7B. Butler6

The first ever Freedman's Party National Convention was held of June 18, 1884 in Douglass, Lincoln. The small growing capital of the state had black men and women from all over the nation arriving in droves to see a convention hall of 100 all black delegates choose their first ever nominee. Frederick Douglass agreed to chair the convention, but openly asked to not be nominated, saying he would not accept it. (This plea was promptly ignored.) The Freedmen's Party was young but seeds were laid for it's early factions. There were the 'Radical Freed', men who embodied every 'far left' position that could possibly be held in 1884, 'the Progressors', who were far less radical but had some progressive ideas, 'the Moderates', mostly upper southern delegates who held moderate belief, 'the Senators', called so mockingly, they were usually upper class black men from the north who saw high class education, and finally 'the Republicans', an all encompassing term for those who wanted to just settle with either the RNC or LNC choice.

The first ballot was no contention, the chairman, Mr. Douglass was nominated. Despite openly refusing the nomination, the hall decided to move forward with it anyway, promising to not nominate him in 1888, but saying that such exciting times called for the most famed black man in the nation to be selected as the nominee. The VP ballot was also little contest, though some wanted to nominate a white man who supported their cause or people, like Former President Grant or General Ben Butler, and others wanted to choose an established back politician like Blanche Bruce (who wasn't a member of the Freedmen's Party, staying a Republican.) The man chose was the current Governor of Lincoln under the Freedmen's Party Lucius Cincinnatus, who passionately accepted the nomination.

When speaking to the hall he urged all black voters to show the establishment that their votes count! Boycott the other candidates and vote for the free!"

FREEDMEN NOMINEES
FREDERICK DOUGLASS FOR PRESIDENT
LUCIUS CINCINNATUS FOR VICE PRESIDENT

-From Every National Convention in American History
by Jacob Cohen, published 2012

-
Wanted to give you all some food for thought here. The LNC and RNC results will come tonight as well, writing them now!

Nice chapter, the Democrats were a riot, loved how McClellan stormed his way to getting his nomination. The formation of Freedman's Party is an interesting development, I hope they stick around. While they may not win elections to the White House, they can influence other parties to support certain policies to get the black vote. Can't wait to see how things are with the RNC and LNC. Keep up the great work 👍👍👍.

Last edited:
Chapter 19: The Nominations for 84' pt.2
RNC
Presidential Ballots123Vice Presidential Ballot1
P. Sheridan57155422RT. Lincoln563
J. Logan288209169L. Andrieux188
J. Blaine17719942J. Foraker49
J. Hawley92101100
Others18613677

"The Republican National Convention held on July 5th, 1884 in Cleveland Ohio was truly a spectacle to behold. The Republicans, ever since crushing loses in Congress and in Presidential races, had become fortified in the midwest. Newspapers called it the 'Elephant's Fortress'. [1] The Republican Party having been generally kicked from the New England States had thus adopted the more populist values seen out west, with big business generally moving towards the Liberals. That isn't to say businessmen weren't still generally Republican... in certain parts of the nation such as Dominica and the west, businesses were still strongly Republican. That was yet to change....

The 1884 RNC had a lot weighing on it. After the Louisianian affair the Republicans became far more radical on the issue of civil rights. Most Homers had entirely jumped ship to the Liberals, meaning this was the first proper convention in which the interests of moderate southern Republicans would be entirely ignored. In contention for the nomination was John Logan, a veteran and straight out Republican, he was about as party line as one could get, though he had gotten more outspoken on civil rights in the past four years... next was former candidate James G. Blaine. Blaine was popular yet still under heavy scrutiny over his numerous corruption scandals. There was also Joseph Hawley of Connecticut. Hawley is an interesting character. He generally represented the business interests of the party.

At first it was generally assumed that one of those three gentlemen would be the nominee, but there were forces behind the scenes that yearned for another... Former Vice President Hayes had become the unofficial leader of the Republicans ever since leaving office in 1881, Hayes was unimpressed by the three J's. In the weeks leading up to the convention he began to open a dialogue with General and former Vice Presidential nominee Philip Sheridan, he hoped to place 'Fightin' Phil' on the top of the ticket. Hayes scanned the floor on the first ballot to see what support he had...

On ballot one Sheridan came in fourth, beating out all of the native sons and other random choices, this greatly inspired Hayes who began to whip for Sheridan hard, pulling strings before the second ballot. After growing him by nearly 100 votes the Sheridan momentum was seen by damn near everyone in the Convention Hall. After Hayes convinced former Secretary of War Robert Todd Lincoln to endorse Sheridan publically saying

"He is the torchbearer of my father's legacy, he is the torchbearer of Ulysses Grant's legacy and he is the torchbearer of the Republican legacy,"

Influential Republicans dogpilled to endorse Phil. Former President Seward, a delegate at the convention expressed his endorsement, James Blaine seeing his failing campaign followed suit and by time of the third ballot, Sheridan secured a majority.

Then came time to choose a Vice President. Though there was support for the man at the center of the Louisianian Affair, Louis Andrieux, his mixed race heritage hindered him. Phil Sheridan personally promised Andrieux a seat on his cabinet should he win, then placed Robert Todd Lincoln's name into contention for the Vice Presidency. Though he yelled and screamed against the nomination, Lincoln was the unavoidable pick...

REPUBLICAN NOMINEES
PHILIP SHERIDAN FOR PRESIDENT
ROBERT TODD LINCOLN FOR VICE PRESIDENT

LNC
Should we nominate Philip Sheridan for the Presidency and recombine our efforts with the RNC? 1
No699
Yes53

Before the beginning of balloting at the Liberal National Convention held in New York City a motion was placed forward by Senator George Edmunds. Should we nominate Philip Sheridan for the Presidency and recombine our efforts with the RNC? Some Liberals saw the chaotic Democratic split and vulnerability as a great opportunity to end their own split with the Republicans. It was clear that they would easily win after all. However the motion was resoundingly defeated. Why?

Well there are three main reasons. For one, many of the Conservative Liberals and defected Homers felt that the Republicans were far too radical to combine with. Two, many Liberals both radical and reactionary no longer considered themselves a splinter of the Republicans, they considered themselves to be the sensible choice of moderation. And finally, nearly a third of the party elite used to be Democrats. Literally none of those men wanted to join the Republican party.

Now with that question out of the way, we can get to the balloting...

Presidential Ballots12Vice Presidential Ballots123
J. Sherman301377JQ. Adams II195196394
JQ. Adams II188192G. Edmunds284299304
J. Throckmorton151151W. Cameron1411414
Others11236Others13111650

The balloting of the Liberal National Convention was a calm affair. Easily the most calm out of all the conventions that year. The front runner and eventually nominee Senator John Sherman had been absolutely instrumental towards the Liberal control of congress. It is is no understatement to say he is the reason the party was in a strong place moving into 1884. Sherman stood for the party. His only two real opponents came from the conservative, business oriented, son of President Charles Adams, John Quincy Adams II. At this point the Adams' were basically the royal family of the United States, the richest, whitest, most New England family known to man. JQA II represented the right wing of the party. The final main opponent was former Texas Governor and southern Democrat, James Throckmorton. Throckmorton represented the Homer wing of the party.

The Presidential balloting was quick, after ballot one the moderates and radical liberals realized that should the Homers and Conservatives combine, they would win on the next ballot. This led to most native son candidates voting for Sherman and giving him the nomination. Sherman loudly endorsed President Pro Tempore Edmunds as his pick for Vice President. However most of the convention had their own candidates in mind.

Throughout the first two Vice Presidential ballots Edmunds maintained a lead. Yet despite his pleas to combine before the conservatives did, the moderates did not listen. Thus to the shock of no one once the Homers under Virginia Governor William Cameron endorsed Adams wholeheartedly, he won on the third ballot. This was largely an embarrassment to Sherman. The Liberal ticket was to be a populist from the midwest and a conservative from New England... At least both men were popular in their own way?

LIBERAL NOMINEES
JOHN SHERMAN FOR PRESIDENT
JOHN QUINCY ADAMS II FOR VICE PRESIDENT

-From Every National Convention in American History
by Jacob Cohen, published 2012

-
ALRIGHTY! Conventions are done. You'll have to give me a second to craft the 1884 chapter, she'll be full of blood, sweat and tears. @InsertCoolUsernameHere here's hoping you and I can collaborate on the final election map!

In the meantime choose a candidate to support in the comments! ;) I may or may not take your pick into consideration... Also feel free to debate the merits of each and who you all believe will come out on top!

[1]: Animals are being associated with the parties at this point

-Elephants for Republicans
-Donkeys for Democrats
-An Angry Racing Horse for the Bourbons after a popular newspaper cartoon making fun of McClellan
-An Owl for the Libs

-An Oxen for the Freedmen Party, representing the strife of slavery.

Last edited:
It's comical with all those people refusing nominations. Although with so many corrupt politicians around maybe that will be a way to draw votes - they didn't want to run :)

It's comical with all those people refusing nominations. Although with so many corrupt politicians around maybe that will be a way to draw votes - they didn't want to run :)
There are a lot of interesting figures who would make good presidents who would rather do anything else.

For reference after calculating it, Domicia will have 6 electoral votes and Lincoln will have 4. The rest of the electoral vote shouldn't be that different. (In a meaningful way) The magic number is 206!

Also yes, every candidate will win at least one state...

Last edited:
Little announcement! I'm going to start making wikiboxes for congressional elections as well. 1884's congressional elections will come out some time tomorrow.

While you wait for those I have the 1884 election chapter almost ready, give me another hour or two!

Little announcement! I'm going to start making wikiboxes for congressional elections as well. 1884's congressional elections will come out some time tomorrow.

While you wait for those I have the 1884 election chapter almost ready, give me another hour or two!
Great, can't wait to see the election results 👍👍👍